Decision Day

     Storytelling can be shown through many methods: movies, magazines, narratives etc. According to Cherry, "When our ancestors first tried to understand the world around them, they told stories." This means that telling narratives have always been a part of human life. However, the way storytelling is conveyed, has changed quite a bit over the years, but nevertheless the concept is still around. Like Cherry states, "Stories have power, and the stories we tell today do just as much to try to explain our world as did the myths did so long ago." Therefore, storytelling is an essential part of human nature; whether it is through the medium of magazine or movie. 

    A program is needed to convey these stories in the right format. A program that can be used for magazines is Adobe InDesign. With this program, pictures and words can be formatted in a creative way to illustrate the narrative that can be told through magazines. Practicing this program was difficult to follow along in class. There are too many things and applications going on at once, it was hard to just simply put on a picture or change the color of the font on the words. I believe the reason why this application was difficult for me to operate was because it is so different from programs like Microsoft or Google documents. On the other hand, the program needed to make movies/videos was much easier to use. The program we used to edit our videos was Adobe Premier Pro. Although there was still a learning curve in trying to understand how it works, it was less difficult than trying to figure out how Adobe InDesign works. This was most likely easier for me to use because I want to be a film major in college so I have some level of understanding in editing video clips. Also, because I was more interested in video editing, I was more willing to sit through the tutorials the application provides. Moving forward, I will have to better acquaintance myself with the Adobe Premier Pro application because I know I can be creative with it if I just understood some more of its tools. 

    In the article written by Joey Franklin, he stated "Readership is painfully low, budgets are notoriously tight, and many journals are struggling to stay viable, let alone relevant." He stated this about magazines. Magazines are suffering right now because the accessibility issues and the long articles that contained in them. Although doing a magazine could be fun to make the pictures stand out in a creative way, the program is still completely foreign to me. I do not understand how anything works in it. Therefore, I have chosen to do the movie as a part of my portfolio. I understand the program better and I know what I want to make my story about. I also believe telling a story would be more fun if I had creative power over lighting and music and other factors that are more than just pictures. After all, I do want to go to college for movie-making.  

Comments

Popular Posts